"He did a lazy sway . . . To the tune o' those Weary Blues. " --- Langston Hughes

Photo entitled "Jazz City" (NYC, 2007) by William Ellis
William Ellis's Website
William Ellis's Blog

Jul 9, 2004

The Logic of a DJ


A few years ago, I had the chance to catch my first Medeski, Martin and Wood concert in which the avant-garde jazz trio played at the House of Blues - a venue on Sunset Boulevard designed to resemble a dilapidated dwelling that could fit in right along the riverbanks of the Mississippi River yet stood amid a throng of twinkling West Hollywood lights.

On tour promoting its most recent album, "Combustication," MMW came onstage beneath the supernatural blue stage lights to an audience of crowd of jam-band junkies, straight-laced jazz aficionados, dreadlock hippies and urban funk dancers. The place erupted in applause when Chris Wood plugged in his electric bass, John Medeski plunked out a few notes on his organ keys and Billy Martin slid behind his drumkit. While a buzz came over the audience, my attention shifted to a figure leaning over a set of turntables, clutching a pair of headphones between his cheek and collarbone.

His name was DJ Logic (born Jason Kibler), and to MMW fans, he was the secret weapon in the making of "Combustication," with his spinning and scratching that meshed with the trio's impressive "grooved out" trademark sound. Logic's live improvisation that night was so magical it forever changed my opinion of electronic sampling from somewhat of a vague distaste to outright fascination.

Since then, Logic has ventured into solo artistry, forming the appropriately named Project Logic. He has already released his sophomore effort entitled "The Anomaly"; is now finishing up work on his next album; and is currently on tour with some of pop music's sweethearts, John Mayer and Maroon 5.

"I've always looked at my turntables as an instrument," Logic explained. "On the album with Medeski, Martin and Wood, our vibe was real tight. We just had that connection and I just tried adding a little color to the music. Playing with them has always made sense."

Logic, in his late 20s, discovered the art of DJing at an early age. At a community function in his Bronx neighborhood, he watched a local DJ in awe and knew immediately what he was to do with his life. Soon after, Logic unwrapped a Christmas present that forever altered his future: a set of turntables.

He quickly became recognized as an up-and-coming talent, performing at parties and catching the eye of noteworthy drummer Richie Harrison. Logic joined Harrison's group, Eye and I, which featured Melvin Gibbs and Gary Pulson on bass, and DK Dyson on vocals. The band signed with Sony Records and promoted its debut album by opening a tour for Living Colour. It was during this time that Logic coined his DJ name, which was inspired by a computer magazine and the dictionary.

"I was sitting with DK, and she said every DJ had to have a cool name," Logic recalled. "I wanted something that stood out, but I didn't want it to be too long. I think the name is a way to explain what I do and how I try to find what makes sense to me in mine (sic) and others' playing."

Gibbs tutored Logic in the varied forms of jazz, which Logic began applying to his playing. At first, he remembered many people found the combination of electronica/hip-hop and live instrumentation awkward, but he continued with his experimentation, recording with jazz artists like Graham Haynes and Don Byron.

"Melvin got me into jazz and the improvisational jazz scene by doing jazz hits and playing in the clubs like CBGB," said Logic. "A lot of people didn't understand what I was doing. I knew I always wanted to be a part of music -- music makes sense. Finding the right colors, and applying those colors to the bridge and chorus, is always a new thing for me each time I play."

It was at CBGB that Billy Martin approached Logic; asked him to check out Medeski, Martin and Wood; and asked if perhaps Logic might even want to join the group on a collaboration. Logic eventually recorded with MMW on a remix track called "Dracula-Mix" and on "Combustication."

Logic has also performed with guitarists John Scofield and Marc Ribot, saxmen Josh Redman, Karl Denson, DJ Spooky, banjo wizard Bela Fleck and singer/ songwriter Chris Whitley. Nowadays, however, he spends most of his time and energy directing Project Logic, a five-piece band. Logic has also enlisted the talents of special guests, including John Medeski, Gibbs, Soulive guitarist Eric Krasno and Living Colour guitarist Vernon Reid.

"I never thought I'd have my own band," Logic said. "Being the leader is a whole different thing. I love what I'm doing and I love playing in front of people."

No comments:

Post a Comment